Saturday 12 January 2008

Mink Encounter No.3

Mink are NOT native to our shores and can cause great harm to the balance of nature where they are. Mink are killers
The Mink as now done with hunting for a while, it caught and ate the fish and now gives itself a good shake. If you enlarge this you can see the water going all over the place. Anyone who as a dog will have seen this done before. I great way to get the fur dry.

...

I have been this was many time since I saw this Mink, but have not even caught a glimps in the distance of it. I have heard of others on the river nearby so I'll try to see if I can get close up on them. I hope you have enjoyed seeing these.

11 comments:

DeeMom said...

We have mink around our creek as well, but I have never been in the right place at the right time to get a good look, let alone a picture. Great shot Peter

Coy Hill said...

So lucky!!

Mink are native over here and it has been many many years since I encountered one. 30 years ago when I was doing some trapping I would catch one occasionally but I have never had the pleasure of photographing one.

Wonderful shots!

Tom said...

When Peter came to my house the day he took these he could hardly contain his excitement... I was really pleased he captured these images of a Mink at play and hunting. I have tried many times as Pete knows but never been able to close.
I know these have been shown over on my blog but I know Peter will have his own following at these should be here for all to see.

smilnsigh said...

Oh a black Grayhound!! Do you have more pictures of him? I love Grayhounds. But over here {US} when we see one being walked, it is a rescued Grayhound. Which I love even more. :-)

And I must say that the photo you put up in your Side Bar is much nicer than the one which greets us, on Old Tom's! -giggles-

Mari-Nanci

Rose said...

Oh, how exciting to get these shots! Did you set up in a blind to capture these or did you happen up on them in your hiking?

dot said...

They are cute little creatures!

Patty said...

These are all very nice photos. Looks like they make good fishermen. Thanks for sharing your photos with us. Hope you're having a wonderful week-end.

imac said...

Now this Pete, ive never seen mink, really great captures all of these posts.

slowly catching up and recovering

New Steam post up now.

Cathrine said...

I have :)
thank you

Jules said...

Wow - amazing photos Pete - look like something out of National Geographic.

You obviously are another Dr Dolittle like Tom!!!

gaz said...

great photos.
move over david attenborough!