Sunday 2 March 2008

King of all the birds

The wren traditionally symbolised winter and the robin summer. At one time a wren was hunted and killed to symbolise the death of winter and then placed in a garlanded box and taken from door to door. At each house a song was sung and the occupants asked to pay to see the dead wren with the words, 'Please to see the King'.


The wren, the wren, the king of all birds,
St. Stephen's Day was caught in the furze,

Although he was little his honour was great,

Jump up me lads and give him a treat.


Chorus:

Up with the kettle and down with the pan,

And give us a penny to bury the wren.


As I was going to Killenaule,

I met a wren upon the wall.

I took me stick and knocked him down,

And brought him in to Carrick Town.

Chorus


Droolin, Droolin, where’s your nest?

Tis in the bush that I love best

In the tree the holly tree,

Where all the boys do follow me.

Chorus


We followed the wren three miles or more,

Three mile or more three miles or more.

We followed the wren three miles or more,

At six o’clock in the morning.

Chorus:


I have a little box under me arm,

Under me arm under me arm.

I have a little box under me arm,

A penny or tuppence would do it no harm.

Chorus:

7 comments:

Andree said...

I guess that way back then they couldn't imagine that the world might run out of wrens if we weren't careful. Not a happy tale, but a cheerful beautiful photo.

dot said...

This is one of my favorite of your photos! Interesting little song. I wonder who got to keep the money.

Rose said...

I must say that the wren is my favorite bird--our Carolina wrens have the biggest, prettiest song. It is hard to imagine all that music coming from such a little fellow!

imac said...

Nice work Pete, If you get the chance to visit me sometime and enjoy my photos on wood walks.


Nice to be back in Blog - Land.

Tom said...

I have to say how much I enjoyed this post as well. Peter as some really nice shots of these Wrens, he had heard about this song years ago but could not remember all of it. It's great sat here bouncing ideas off each other and then off to google to check stuff up. Peter will be here tomorrow I'm sure for his coffee of to cook some Belly Pork.. in the mean time on his behalf thank you for calling and leaving comments

Anonymous said...

I love the photographs of the wren...you must have a lot of patience to catch them on film. There are wrens in my garden all year round, lovely little birds,
June

DeeMom said...

How neat...