Tuesday 25 March 2008

Beach Finds 2

Skull of a Dolphin

I was saddened to come across this Common Dolphin skull washed up on the beach, but the sadness was I'm sorry to say over shadowed by the fact I could sell it. A complete skull like this once cleaned can bring well in excess of a £100 to a collector.

I have sold a few skulls in the past, mostly ones found by the roadside on my walks. Rams, Badgers Foxes and Rooks and even an owl skull I once came across. I intended burying this to collect at a later date when the worms and bugs had done their jobs. I left it where it was and carried on my walk and looked for something to carry it away in. By the time I got back someone else had got there, footprints led away to a nearby car park. I made a mental note to be more prepared in the future.


This is a beached Ferry called the 'River Dance'.. not that it will be dancing anymore. It got caught out in a bad storm and a high spring tide.. it was dumped here and a rescue operation was carried out to remove the seamen which was a success. The Ferry is now lost and I think as now been 'Wrote Off'. While I was there it seemed like Blackpool had a new attraction.

10 comments:

dot said...

Interesting pictures today. My favorite is the last one. I'm sorry someone got your skull.

Sharon said...

Hello, this was an interesting post! Who would have thought a skull could bring in that much money? I'm sorry someone else got it.

I looked down through your blog and found lots of wonderful pictures. The pictures for Beach finds #1 wouldn't open for me but sounded interesting.

DeeMom said...

WOW they buy the skeleton?
At least the people on the Ferry were rescued…

Checked back on the prior blog your pictures are still not showing

Willard said...

I see you have posted a lot of good material since my last visit! Good work!

Anonymous said...

Interesting post, Peter. You know they use original skulls like this one as molds to make reproductions that look real. I suppose some investigation might lead you to the process. It would be a nice find but I wouldn't have known what I was looking at.

Abraham Lincoln in Brookville, Ohio

Tom said...

Hi Everyone... I will try to get around to reloading the pictures for Pete as soon as I can.

The thought of Peter turning up at the kitchen door with that skull in a plastic bag dose not bare thinking about... ha!

Outhouse Capital of Canada said...

My first visit to this blog, I looked down through the pictures, the Lakes pics doesn't say where it is.

FO - 2 said...

I almost got scared at once....
The last one is beautiful. Sad though.... I`m glad that the seamen were rescued.

Shammickite said...

Poor old dolphin, I wonder what happened to the rest of him. 100 pounds for a skull, that's not chicken feed!

Marvin said...

Interesting finds. I had no idea a dolphin skull would fetch that kind of money -- not that I happen to have one to sell.