Monday 24 March 2008

Beach Finds No.1

Beach At St. Annes Blackpool



Close up of a Sand Star (Astropecten Irregularis)



Sand Stars live on the Sea-bed in clean sandy areas. It 's flattened arms and pointed tube feet are adapted for burrowing into sand. Sand Starts feed on worms and small mollusc's by swallowing them whole.


Common Startfish ( Asterias Rubens) These can be serious predators on Oyster beds, and so are often collected and dumped on shore to die. At one time the Qyster-men would ripe them in half and throw them back... not knowing that both half's can grow back if at least one-fifth of the central disk is still attached to an arm.



The Masked Crab (Corystes cassivelaunus) Not all crabs walk sideways. The Masked Crab burrows backwards into the sand to hide. The two antennae between its eyes are modified into a tube to inhale sea water for it to breathe.



Tomorrow I'll show you the one that got away....

10 comments:

dot said...

Beautiful closeup of the star fish.

Anonymous said...

These are amazing.
Glad I followed Mr. T advise ...

Shammickite said...

Unfortunately, the pics have changed into the dreaded red X... I'll try again later.

Anonymous said...

Excellent photos. I hope you have a nice week.

Abraham Lincoln in Brookville, Ohio.

DeeMom said...

Well POO Blogger is not allowing the pictures to show...;(

I shall check later

Lizzy said...

I can't see them either! Is that me or you?

Patty said...

For some reason I only see red x's, I use IE maybe that's the reason.

imac said...

Beach walks too Pete, all great shots, hope the weather is fine?

FO - 2 said...

GREAT series! :)

Catherine said...

Great beach finds! I've never seen a star fish ~except for the ones in stores...it's beautful~Love the close up! More amazing caputres Pete!
Wishing you a great week!
Cat