Sunday 29 June 2008

Oyster Catcher



OYSTER CATCHER
Haematopus ostralegus


The oystercatcher is a large, stocky, black and white wading bird. It has a long, orange-red bill and reddish-pink legs. In flight, it shows a wide white wing-stripe, a black tail, and a white rump that extends as a 'V' between the wings. Because it eats cockles, the population is vulnerable if cockle beds are overexploited. Breeds on almost all UK coasts; over the last 50 years, more birds have started breeding inland. Most UK birds spend the winter on the coast; where they are joined on the east coast by birds from Norway.
I now see these birds around Hyde and the surrounding area... Old Womtig saw one flying over the main street in Ashton Under Lyne two weeks ago.

4 comments:

EG CameraGirl said...

I've never heard of these birds. Not good that they're expanding the territory and threatening the cockle population. I wonder if we can blame this on Global Warming.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Peter: Really love the shots of a great looking bird.

Kerri Farley said...

A Beautiful bird! I LOVE that orange beak!!

Coy Hill said...

Really cool Pete! We don't have anything like this on my side of the pond. I love your flight shot, of course you knew that :)