Monday 9 June 2008

Meet Tiny

I call him Tiny











Because he's 'my Newt'
The Newt is an amphibian of the Salamandridae family, found in North America, Europe, and Asia. Their eggs are laid singly in ponds or slow-moving streams, attached to aquatic plants. This distinguishes them from the free-floating eggs of frogs, that are laid in clumps, or toads, that are laid in strings. The larvae leave the water as a terrestrial form called an eft, returning to the water when mature to live or to breed. The adult form has a lizard-like body and is either aquatic or semi-aquatic.
From Wikipedia
I came across this and many more in a local pond, the pond is stocked for fishing, as a resident turtle that someone as released into the wild as we do not have native ones.. the pond also supports Herons and ducks. I'll post the turtle tomorrow.

6 comments:

Pat - Arkansas said...

"Tiny" has beautiful markings! I don't think I ever saw a newt at this close range. He is quite lovely!

alicesg said...

Very lovely photos. Even the little feet could be seen in detailed.

imac said...

Hi Tiny you got a good mate in Big Pete.
Great shot Pete.

mercè said...

A great serie.
These colour are wonderful.
I love it.

Anonymous said...

Nice close-ups Peter.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Pete: Very cool pictures of your newt Tiny. Hoe does he get along with Defor?