Wednesday 7 May 2008

Grey Heron


I came across this Heron on the local canal a week or two ago. It was my best opportunity I've had to get a close up shot of one.

It did not seem to mind me or Defor being across the canal watching it. I took as many as I could and then moved on a bit and took more.


It would take off and move further up the canal side and I would walk up slowly and take a few more. I was amazed it felt comfortable enough to preen it self in my company.


The Grey is our largest European heron. It will stand with it's neck stretched out, looking for food, or hunch down with its neck bent over its chest. In flight it will hold its neck retracted, they also have large rounded wings. They are usually solitary although I see several birds feeding together. I'll show a few more shots of this tomorrow

6 comments:

Rose said...

Fabulous photos! I love them all--you are so blessed to be able to capture them.

dot said...

Beautiful shots!

imac said...

Super work Pete, love your Heron.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Pete: Great photos of the Grey Heron. It looks similar to the Giant Blue Heron we have at the lake I fish. The colors on the neck are wonderful. I'm sure I will get some photos of the heron soon.

alicesg said...

Well captured photo of the Heron. Cool.

Jane Hards Photography said...

I came to look at skywatch and got side tracked by the heron. These shots are superb. You have done a marvelous job capturing these.Envious yes, i'm still yet to photograph one.