Sunday 25 May 2008

Dandelion



The dandelion is one of the most versatile plants we have. Often classed as a weed the dandelion is in fact native to the UK, and is a true herb. The word herb comes from herbaceous, meaning to die down during the dormant season in winter. It is also used under the secondary definition of herb because it as medicinal properties.


After fertilisation, each tiny flower becomes a seed that is formed with a 'parachute' of white hair attached. The seeds are blown from the plant by the wind, or by small children 'telling the time' or making a wish, by counting how many blows will remove all the seeds. The seeds can travel a long way on the wind, before they land and become a new plant. The taproot also is capable of propagating. If it is severed, all the pieces can grow into a new plant.

The milky sap of the stems can be applied daily to warts, and traditional Chinese medicine makes use of a poultice of the leaves to treat boils and abscesses.

They are also great to take macro pictures of, I practiced on these when I first got my camera.

9 comments:

dot said...

They sure do make great macros! Thanks for all the dandelion info.

Rune Eide said...

I am impressed. Tom pointed me to your Blog after seeing my feeble attempt at a shot of a dandelion with seeds.

Thank you also for the information - I have learned something new - always a bonus!

Patty said...

Your beautiful photos of the dandelion almost want me to keep them in the yard. But we try to get rid of them every chance we get.

Dina said...

More than I ever knew about the dandelion. Beautiful pictures.

Tom said...

These are the best I've seen Peter, as you know I was blown away by them.. if you pardon the pun.

Coy Hill said...

Fantastic Macros!

I do think this is the best close-up I have ever seen of dandelion seeds.

FO - 2 said...

WOW!
These are GREAT!
Stunning!

Rose said...

Fantastic shots...
Just wanted to say that we also ate the leafy part of the plant in the spring. Kind of like spinach or mustard.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Pete: Your macro skills are outstanding.