Monday 28 April 2008

A Walk Over Kinder Scout

Join Me This Week For A Walk
I promise you great views from the comfort of your chair.

Kinder Scout is a high windswept upland gritstone plateau, most of which stands at around 600 metres above sea level. The highest point is Crowden Head, which at 631 metres is also the highest point in the Peak District. This is the largest and grandest of the great upland areas of the so-called 'Dark Peak' and it forms an imposing and fascinating area.


The Kinder plateau rises steeply from the surrounding ground and the edges are studded with rocky outcrops and crags. At the western side the Kinder River flows straight off the edge of the plateau in a spectacular waterfall, known as the Kinder Downfall.
The northern edge of the plateau is a long series of rocks and there are several crags on the southern edge too. To the east the level of the plateau gradually lowers and tapers to a narrow neck of high land at Hope Cross which connects Kinder to Win Hill. The edge of the plateau is scored by deep cloughs or river valleys. On the west side the Kinder River and William Clough lead down to Hayfield, on the north side the Ashop and Fairbrook streams and on the south side the various branches of the River Noe, Crowden Brook, Grindsbrook, Lady Booth Brook and Jaggers Clough.

Kinder is most popularly approached by walkers either from Edale village, up Grindsbrook, or via Jacob's Ladder and on to Kinder Low, or from Hayfield up William Clough and on to the north-west corner of the plateau. In general the eastern and northern parts of the plateau are less accessible and therefore less busy. A circuit of the whole plateau is a long day by any standards but a very enjoyable outing. We will be taking the Jacobs Ladder route for our walk.

Tomorrow more from the Walk on Kinder

13 comments:

Neal said...

I really love the picture second from bottom. They're all good but I especially like that one.

Rose said...

This is some gorgeous scenery. Sure look forward to what else you choose to show us.

dot said...

Wow, really amazing scenery. Like nothing I've ever seen before.

alicesg said...

Peter, thanks for sharing all these beautiful photos. I guess you must have a good time in your long walk. :) Looking forward to seeing more photos.

Anonymous said...

With my breathing problems I could never make it more than a few steps beyond the Land Rover. But, thankfully, I can see what you saw in your really nice photos, Peter.

Do you ever smell Defor's feet? If he was my dog I would smell them. I love to smell a dog's foot. I never smelled a bad one yet.

Oh my. Now to guess what these letters are in the word verification thing.

Pappy said...

Was that Wom Tigleys old Land Rover in the distance? Thanks for sharing your walk with us.

Tom said...

Abe
I'll get rid of the Word verifaction as soon as Pete gets here.. I set this blog up, and his email, but for some reason I've forgot his password so I can't yet get to the settings. I will remove the word verifacation as soon as...

It's not my landrover in the picture by the wat. This walk would have killed me. ha!

DeeMom said...

Stunning pictures WOW...

Jane Hards Photography said...

Haven't been this way for years, so what a pleasure to see. The black and white is superb. I do walk up Snaefell, once a month just for the view. Enjoyed all the pics, it's a great place.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Pete: what a tough walk, I can't even think of doing this with my old knees. Glad I'm able to see it from your perspective.
Thanks for commenting the other day.

nonizamboni said...

Incredibly beautiful land and I'm thinking that the trek to see it is not for the faint of heart. Glad you're sharing it--thanks.

imac said...

Just fantastic Pete.1st class post.

Patty said...

Thanks for letting us share in your walks. Hope Defor is enjoying them.