Monday 25 February 2008

Earwig Beetle


The name EARWIG comes from the superstition that they crawl into the ears of sleeping people and bore into the brain. Although earwigs do look mean and dangerous due to their forceps, they are practically harmless to man.
Earwigs vary in size from 1/2-1" in length, they are brown to black in color. Species may be winged or wingless. Only a few species are good fliers. The body terminates in a pair of forceps. These forceps or pincers are the earwig's most distinctive characteristic. The forceps are used in capturing prey and mating. Earwigs are omnivorous, feeding on a variety of food. They will eat live or dead insects as well as live or decaying vegetation.
Earwigs can cause damage to cultivated plants. They can be a nuisance when they migrate indoors. Migrations of earwigs numbering in the 100's have been reported. They seldom become established indoors. Some species will emit a foul odor. Earwigs can be of value as predators of certain insect pests.
Earwigs are nocturnal. During the day they will be found in moist shady places, under wood piles, stones, boards, compost piles, flower beds, and other secluded locations. When earwigs migrate indoors, they hide in cracks and crevices around the floor and other locations. They may be found in potted plants and cut flowers
Creepy little blighters I think

8 comments:

DeeMom said...

Great picture.

BUT Ewwwwwwwwwwwww I remember a horror movie about those buggers, I was only a kid but those memories live on…

dot said...

Maybe that's what is wrong with my brain.
Good shot of that ugly creature!

Patty said...

It's so ugly it's actually pretty. Like my mother-in-law once said about this little dog we got from the pound. He looked like the Benji dog in the movies, except a poor mans version, she said he's so ugly only his mother could love him. But we all thought he was a great little dog and loved him a lot, we didn't see him as ugly at all.

Rose said...

I always wondered what an earwig was...never thought to look it up. Kind of gives me the creeps.

Cathrine said...

Impressive photo :-) !

Tom said...

I can say with hand on heart that I did as a child have an earwig in my ear... it is something I will never forget. My dad grew chrysanthemum on his allotment, I had been messing in the greenhouse where they were and later when I was sat watching the telly I felt something in my ear.. oh! how I jumped and screamed..

alicesg said...

Wow, I learn something everyday. I dont want one come near me. lol

Patty said...

I just noticed Tom talking about an earwig in his ear. Have you ever gotten one of those tiny brownish colored ant's in your ear? I did once when I was about six. And the thing sounded like a huge bee buzzing, I went screaming into my Mom, who said there can't be a bee in your ear. So she tilted my head and used a bobby pin and carefully put it in my ear, and sure enough out crawled this tiny ant. But in the ear it sure made a LOUD noise. I can see how that would drive a person nuts.